Myth about Goal Setting : What’s the Right Approach
We have heard or been informed by others that — We should have Goals, set your Goals, follow your Goals, But but but.. Importantly :
How to set up a Goal Effectively ?
I read about 3–4 books on Goals setting, how to achieve it and things to be taken care while setting up the Goals / Targets.
And, Here is the Technique I personally applied, improvised and conclude —
- Specific: Define details such as why this goal, what, how?
- Measurable: How will you measure the progress?
- Achievable: Make realistic Goals
- Relevant: The Goal must mean Something to You. Think on it.
- Time-bound: It should have a Deadline.
Ex. Let’s say I have Goal to Crack the Coding Interview, so SMART will be like-
- Specific : I want to crack the Interview of Google and Amazon. That’s why preparing for Coding Test which includs Algorithms and Data Structures. I will prepare from GeeksForGeeks.org website and achieve preparation by 4 Months by dividing the list into 2–2 Weeks of time frames.
- Measurable : At Every 2 Weeks I will measure the progress against the Total Topics vs Geeks For Geeks training articles.
- Achievable : Preparation of all the topics in a Month is irrealistic. So, I have chosen 4 Months & Divide them comfortably in achievable 2 Weeks of Period.
- Relevant : I am Software engineer and it has lot of relevance to my career growth & area of interest.
- Time-bound : Deadline is of 4 Months with 2–2 weeks checkpoints, which will help myself to be time-bounded.
Hope above example and SMART technique makes sense. Try It yourself for any Small Goal and Get the benefits out of it.
Feel free to Comment your suggestions / Queries. Please follow for such Productivity and Life Hacks related Articles !!
Thank you !